What are Rivers East Village office hours?
Monday - Friday 10:00 am - 2:00 pm. However, feel free to call or email anytime and we will get back to you promptly.
What is Aging in Place?
Aging in Place is the concept that you can remain in your place of choice as long as you wish. Aging in Place is a choice, it gives you control over your independence, quality of life, and dignity. Aging in place does not mean you have to do everything yourself. It means you get to plan how your needs are met.
Who oversees village operations?
Rivers East Village is a program of Villages NW though an agreement that outlines requirements for village operations while at the same time giving Rivers East Village flexibility to be self-governing. Village members elect village leaders who provide guidance and direction.
Questions about Membership
Why should I join if I’m healthy and active?
A Village can provide a variety of social activities and a way to meet people who share common interests. Village members can request a little help around the house, rides to events, medical appointments, and more. Members may also be volunteers and help others.
Are members required to volunteer?
Members are not required to volunteer, although many find volunteering and helping others to be very rewarding.
What is the cost of membership?
We offer four different membership types. Visit the “Membership” section of our webpage for details. Rivers East Village offers financial assistance when the cost of membership is a financial roadblock.
Are member dues tax-deductible?
Membership fees are not tax-deductible. Donations to REV are tax-deductible due to our relationship with Villages NW.
Why do members have to pay a fee if services are provided by volunteers?
Membership fees are needed to cover village operating costs such as printing costs, office supplies, software licenses, service fees, outreach and marketing expenses, accounting, banking fees, postage and mail expenses, and more. Collecting membership fees is a way to fairly allocate those costs among those that benefit from program services.
What are the benefits and services of membership?
There are three categories of MEMBER benefits:
- Social and Educational Activities: Examples - walking groups, book clubs, card groups, seminars, luncheons, webinars, potlucks, happy hours, wine club, movie night, coffee klatches, gardening, guest speakers, local points of interest tours, and more.
- Free Services: Examples - tech support, transportation, friendly visitors, occasional yard work, minor home repairs, furniture assembly, organizing and decluttering, telephone check-in, non-medical support during home recovery, and more.
- MEMBER Advocacy: Examples - problem-solving, billing problems, collecting documents for tax preparation, finding reliable home repair contractors, finding needed resources, and more.
What if I need something that is not on the list of services?
Let us know what you need and we will work with you to find a solution. Our service list will grow based on the needs of members.
How do people become village members?
It’s easy. Submit an online membership inquiry found under “Membership” on our website, send an email, or call and leave a message. A membership coordinator will contact you, answer questions, and explain how to enroll.
How do members request service?
Members can request services in two ways:
- Log into our website and submit a service request
- Call and leave a message
While we strive to meet member’s needs, service is based on volunteer availability and is not guaranteed. Because it may take a few days to match a volunteer to a request, we ask that members provide 4-5 days advance notice when possible.
Is there a limit on the number of volunteer services I can have?
Yes, we offer different membership types so that members can choose the level of service that meets their needs.
What if I have an emergency?
In any emergency, call 911. Rivers East Village volunteers are not equipped to deal with emergencies or urgent medical needs.
Can I be a member if I don’t need services?
Yes, we offer a membership type that enables you to enjoy social activities at a reduced membership rate. Visit our “Membership” page on our website for details.
Are activities included in the price of membership?
Many activities are free for members but some activities may have a small additional cost. We will always let you know if there is an extra cost!
Questions About Volunteers
Who are Rivers East Village volunteers?
Village volunteers are neighbors who are committed to making life a little easier, a little better, and a little more fun for our members. All volunteers undergo a background check and receive training.
What are the benefits of volunteering?
There are many benefits to volunteering, such as:
- Making a contribution to your Community
- Staying active - mentally, physically and socially
- Putting your skills and expertise to good use
- Broadening your horizons by interacting with new people
- Gaining a sense of accomplishment by helping others
- Achieving a new or strengthened sense of purpose
- Bringing more fun and fulfillment to your life
- Paying it forward, knowing that someday each of us may need support too
Do I have to be a member to be a volunteer?
While members are encouraged to volunteer, most volunteers are not members.
What's involved in becoming a volunteer?
All village volunteers are screened and trained. To get started, complete the volunteer application on our website or call and leave a message and a volunteer coordinator will follow up with you. The steps to become a village volunteer include:
- Participating in an in-person villager introduction session (60 - 90 mins).
- Reading and signing a volunteer agreement
- Passing a criminal background check
- Selecting volunteer tasks and availability
How old do you have to be to volunteer?
Volunteers must be at least 18 years of age, however younger children may participate in some activities with an adult volunteer.